[CS-FSLUG] Cursed is the man...

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Thu Jul 15 14:24:32 CDT 2004

This is a three-part stage drama.

Act1
Some days ago C.,, a long time (since early childhood) friend of mine
contacted my wife. He is a lawyer about my same age, but as things go
here, he has trouble getting clients and work despite being an expert
with a J.D. degree in tax law from the University of Trier (Germany).
He is the husband of A., a well-known state prosecutor.

C. told my wife that his wife A. was preparing the Government case
against the former execs of the National Housing Committee. But these
people were moving behind the scenes to get an indictment against A. on
false charges in order to discourage her from prosecuting. Furthermore,
one of the main actors of that behind-the-scenes comedy was Mr. T.,
Esq, one of the lawyers who works at my uncle’s law firm, and
coincidentally member of one of the most influential families here. And
finally, the report said, that in order to help this Mr. T., my uncle
was also in the bandwagon. So, C. told me if I could please phone my
uncle and tell him that A. is the wife of C. who happens to be my
childhood friend, and that if he and his partners are going to press
charges against her, to press only legitimate charges, and not fake
ones? (wow, that was a mouthful).

Now, just to put you into context: my uncle is director of the J.D.
doctoral program of the Catholic University here, is a renowned expert
in civil law, and has an extremely successful law firm. He is also
member of the Council of the Magistracy and the president of the Jury
for the Judgment of Magistrates.

I felt really uncomfortable about the whole issue. C. is, after all, my
uncle’s colleague. Why didn’t he just contact my uncle through
professional channels, appealing to professional courtesy to get an
even treatment? I was really unsure, so I phoned Mom, who is often in
touch with my uncle, and is an overall wise person. She said that she
didn’t like the idea too much, either, but that it wouldn’t do anything
if I called to the uncle and just told him the whole business, telling
him clearly that I was just acting on a friend’s request. After some
phone calls I managed to contact my uncle, and after I told him the
whole issue, he said that he was surprised, and that he didn’t know a
thing. Well, Ok, that’s right.

Act 2
The other day one of my cousins received a strange phone call. Her mom,
a sister of Mom and my uncle, usually lives in the U.S. but three
months ago she built a house here, in Asunción, in a residential
neighborhood. At that time she got an unlisted phone number. The caller
was a male voice, who wanted at all costs to get my uncle’s home phone
number. He said he was a reporter for a local radio station, and he
wanted to warn my uncle that some fellows in his circle of friends were
going to ’stab him in the back’. And then he hung up leaving my cousing
wondering. How did that man learn of my aunt’s unlisted and recent
phone number? Go figure…

Act 3
Finally the whole business seemed clear. The local press ran some
stories where Mr. President himself (Spanish link:
http://www.abc.com.py/articulos.php?fec=2004-07-08&pid=120985&sec=7)
and some of his representatives openly criticized my uncle and the Jury
for the Judgment of Magistrates. Some of the Jury’s members openly
acknowledged that the pressure to cave into the demands of the
Executive Branch were almost unbearable.

So this is the whole issue. I was a pawn in a high power game. Someone
really clever wanted to play against my uncle, and this person used my
own family against him.

Of course, this amounts to play dirty, very dirty. That’s no surprise in
the world of politics; but the really sad part here is that our
President identifies himself as an evangelical Christian. The First
Lady is a member of Raíces (Roots) Mennonite Brethren Church; and he
does worship there, though he is not a member (and some would add
“yet"). There is a growing feeling of triumphalism among the rank and
files of Protestant Christians here, because “Brother Nicanor", “one of
us", is now the President. They just crave to be back into Emperor
Constantine’s times, just to be in bed with the Government all over
again, and they do not realize that they are being used as disposable
stuff.

Thus says the LORD: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh
his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD.”
 Jeremiah 17:5, ESV

Eduardo
--
Prof. Eduardo Sanchez