[CS-FSLUG] best way to set up network permissions

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Jul 14 17:36:39 CDT 2004

If the partition is fat32 then you cannot set regular Linux permissions on
it.  The fat32 file format does not contain regular file permissions
rwxrwxrwx.  Linux gives you that impression, but they are really not there.

If you want to share most but not all of those partitions, you will want to
use a file-format that allows greater permissions (like the Linux ext3), or
you will need to share the directories at a lower point (share /mnt/c
/mnt/e /mnt/d/dir1 /mnt/d/dir2, etc.)

	- Tim Young