[CS-FSLUG] best way to set up network permissions

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Wed Jul 14 15:58:19 CDT 2004

Anyone here any good with Linux/Windows 98 networking?

I have set up WiFi networking between my mothers win98 and my Linux box, and
for starters for learning purposes, I "shared" my /mnt dirrectory which
contains 4 fat32 partitions c, d, e, and f.

What I want to do is learn how I can share these directories, but not exacly
everything in them.

there is a directory in d that I would not like to share that I use for both
win and lin, but it is owned by root. I tried to change the owner of the
directory that I do not want to share to myself so I could only give myself
permission to RWX, but Mandrake keeps saying that root doesn't even have
enough permission to change the owner of that directory.

So here I think that my fstab file is what is stopping root from changing the
owner of that file, here is the fstab entry:

/dev/hdb8 /mnt/d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Well is it my fstab entry thats preventing root from changing the owner and am
I on the right track to securing my folders I don't want the network to see?

Also, since I am not very familiar with networking, I am very paranoid about
security at this point and would appreciate some tips and pointers.

Thanks
--
David M.