[CS-FSLUG] Corporate Rule

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Jul 12 15:04:41 CDT 2004

Chris Brault wrote:
> This is the dilemma of any business. So many things
> today are "bad" that were in time past good, that the
> moral dilemma becomes even more obvious. How do you
> serve the consumer when you know that in reality, the
> consumer "needs" so little? Do you advertise, knowing

[big snip]

> You are a smart one. However, don't forget that unions
> helped temper the wage slavery (which still exists
> when you work to make others rich) and also greatly
> improved working conditions at a time when the
> conditions were terribly poor.

I hate TV, yet I recognize that is can be turned to a good purpose.
Still, I know that it has near-hypnotic powers, tending to cause one to
suspend rational judgment. How do we decide? How evil is something like
that, and when do we see ourselves making use of because it's almost
impossible to have a message heard otherwise?

I purposely avoided such questions by noting simply that it didn't
matter if a product was good or bad. If a market can be found or
fabricated, somebody will sell it with all their might.

Pagan though my brother is, he decided long ago even he could not stoop
to manipulation in his business. His approach was, "Here's what I have.
Interested? No? Have a nice day and thanks for looking." Genuine. It's
one of the few things I admire in him.

--
Ed Hurst