[CS-FSLUG] Slackware 10

K. Luckenbaugh kluck at gdrs.com
Mon Jul 12 09:52:03 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I have recently tried Slackware 10. I am impressed with the distro. I
am  having a real problem getting this thing to boot.

On an empty harddrive (two different computers):

Loaded the ISO.
Partitioned the hard drive. (made  /root  reiser with a "bootable" flag.
Tried with or without LILO as the booter.
Did a   mkinitrd -c  blah blah blah ( it created the .gz that it was
supposed to )
Did a  lilo

Anyway,  when I got finished and rebooted,  all I got was a   grub>
prompt. I didn't use grub. All I wanted was for Slack to boot :(
To get this to boot I have to:  bare.i   root=/dev/hda2 noinitrd ro
(with the CD in the drive)    then all is fine.
Why do you have to load the kernel manually with a bootloader????
This is _*not*_ the "live version".

Thanks,
Kelly