[CS-FSLUG] Why?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 14:59:45 CDT 2004

Indeed Nathan,

> Peanut looks interesting but I found by looking at
> their site that they do not have KDE installed by
> default, I could do that by hand but I
> imagine it would be a lot of work. I'm going to try
> for something that already has KDE first though.

I wasn't recommending Peanut for you Nathan.  I was
just stating my opinion.  I would install Cobind, get
apt/synaptic, ask "me" for the KDE repositories, then
install the latest KDE from RPM's. I'd then uninstall
all that Xfce4 and Gnome stuff with apt/synaptic, log
off and then into KDE. Viola! 15 min install, a pop
over to freshrpms.net, a sources.list from "me", a
download from the repository, log-off and in and there
you go.  But that would be my suggestion for only you.

> I've been trying to download fedora core since last
> night, now I've given up on the traditional method
> and I'm just fetching it from a
> torrent file. I haven't given FC2 a fair chance yet
> and their changelog shows that they have included
K3b
> in this release. I won't be able to use it though
> until I get more CD's.

Fedora is a bit heavy handed compared to Cobind, but
it does include alot of software.  I usually load a
stripped down version of Fedora (stripped down KDE,
web browser but no other apps at all) then only add
what I need. I can keep Fedora under the outrageous
2gigs a full install requires.  The smallest I've
gotten Fedora 2 (kernel + Xfce4) is 1.2 Gigs.  If you
remove all the stuff you need to compile (as if I'd
ever do that) you can get it down to Cobind size
(800-900 Megs).  Fedora is packed full of all kinds of
libraries and stuff. The /usr/bin has 2000 items in it
and /usr/lib has 1700 items in it ... egad!  Anyways,
if you want the power of the 2.6 kernel and want to
build a system with only what you want, then this
would be my suggestion.

> Its always nice and encouraging to know that there
> are other developers
> in the CS-FSLUG list :-) .

I was surprised at how nice your app looked and how
well it handled.  You did a good job.