[CS-FSLUG] QOTW #8: Canon Questions

Timothy Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 1 01:01:34 CDT 2004

Okay, so I still have my hard disk torn up, but I hope to have my old
e-mail archive assembled next week and will present David's question
then (I'm really sorry, David!). For now, let's do another one from me.

What's your canon in the canon? (That is, if you could only pick one
part of the Bible and make it "yours," what book or section of books
would it be?)

Mine is most definitely the Epistles of the Apostle Paul. I'm very
Pauline. On the occasion that I get the urge to rant about a
theological issue, I often find myself thinking of Paul and arguing
Paul's points. Paul's arguments on the distribution of Grace, issues of
legalism (or the needed lack thereof), soteriology in general and
everything else rings so fresh and so strongly today. Paul's arguments
are wonderful in that they are paradoxically very simple to get the
gist of and very complex below the surface. While I don't feel any
book(s) of the Bible ought to take precedence over the others -- that
is, all of them fit together and are necessary -- I love the fact that
Paul goes right to the heart of the matter and lays everything out. I
love his fiery defense of Christian doctrine against heresy and his
amazing dedication.

  So, it is definitely Paul for me. (If I couldn't pick Paul, I'd
probably pick the Eschatological books of Daniel and Revelation).

  How about you?