[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 31 21:00:25 CDT 2004

> Thus is my point.  I have no trouble with someone taking my code and
> making a
> derivative closed-source version.  I fail to see the "freedom" in a
> liscense
> that takes away choices from developers.

	Which is why it is good there is the BSD license. On the other hand, I
would not release my code under a license that allows the code to be
taken an not returned. I don't want someone to beat me at my own game,
is it were, by taking my code, going proprietary and then feeding off
my improvements to crush support for my open code base.

	I'm not saying the GPL is right for everyone, but I think it is still
unfair to call it viral. It doesn't infect your code, it only adds it
terms onto what you do when you are simply expanding *my* code.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)