[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Aug 31 14:58:19 CDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:53:59PM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:11:04 -0500
> Aaron Patrick Lehmann <lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > > /me puts on flameproof suit.
> > >
> > > <flamebait>The license isn't viral. It only asks you do unto others
> > > what you have them doing unto you. Use the code, release the code.
> > > :-)</flamebait>
> >
> > Thus is my point.  I have no trouble with someone taking my code and
> > making a derivative closed-source version.  I fail to see the
> > "freedom" in a liscense that takes away choices from developers.
> >
> > This is why I will not realease under GPL, if I can possibly avoid it,
> > and will not recommend anyone else do so either.
> >
> > Aaron Lehmann
> > --
> > Sometimes you stay the course;
> > Sometimes the course stays you.

> Aaron -- if you so dislike the GPL and I assume you are a man of
> principles, why do you use GPL'd software? You would appear to be
> somewhat of a hypocrite -- no?

Not at all.  I have no trouble USING GPL'ed software, because to my
understanding, there's nothing in the GNU Public Liscense that demands me
release my products under the GPL, just because I use products that are GPL'ed.
So long as I don't make a product that is derivative of a GPL'ed product, I'm
not obligated to release under the GPL.  It is the obligation upon developers
to GPL their derivative work that I object to, nothing else.

Aaron Lehmann