[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Tue Aug 31 13:46:14 CDT 2004

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>>Aaron -- if you so dislike the GPL and I assume you are a man of
>>principles, why do you use GPL'd software? You would appear to be
>>somewhat of a hypocrite -- no?
>
> I wouldn't say that. It's a difference between accepting someone else's
> code to function and using someone else's code to make more code.
>
> I still use Microsoft's software. I don't like their terms, but I agreed
> and will follow them. I don't like some government rules or lack
> thereof, but I'm not going to "go vigilante" on you.
>
> Basically, what he does with his own code versus using someone else's
> code are really different arguments.

Well put. Absolutism is for machinery; we are humans and capable of
living with tensions. If the only thing available for the job is GPL or
commercial, then it is my duty in Christian service to accept the
license or do without. I am in no position to dictate my preferences on
another, even if I earnestly believe my BSD preference more closely fits
Christian principles. I must accept the brother of different convictions
for the gift of God he is.

--
Ed Hurst