[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea 2

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Sat Aug 28 02:08:31 CDT 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 06:37, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> Here is this week's reading:
>
> http://www.biblegateway.net/cgi-bin/bible?
> language=english&passage=Hosea+2&version=NIV
>
> Ice Breaker Question: God seems to tell the people of Israel of a time
> of reconciliation after punishment. Growing up, did your parents talk
> about a time of forgiveness after your punishment? Would that have made
> you feel better than just receiving punishment, or would it have simply
> made things worse realizing what will be but only after you receive
> punishment?

My parents were not christians at the time I was child, so I don't recall them
talking about forgiveness. I think at that time I couldn't see the difference
between punishment and judgement (so them talking about "time of forgiveness
after punishment" would have sounded more or less absurd). But if understood
right (eg. punishment is same as "judgement"), it may be a bit easier to take
it if one knows that it is not the end.

> Study Questions:
>
> 1.) Why do you think God removed Israel from the land it lived in?
> While a time of reconciliation is referred to, we know that this has
> not occurred yet, at least. Do you think this is unfair in light of the
> fact that Judah was able to remain an identifiable unit that returned
> after a period of exile?
Because they commited idolatry despite that God delivered them from the
slavery of Egypt. I don't think it is unfair that Judah was able to remain an
identifiable unit.

> 2.) Chapter 2 repeats many of the themes of chapter 1. What do you
> infer by those themes that are repeated?
Maybe because it was a hebrew way of stressing what parts of the message are
important (I feel sometimes that repetition makes it difficult to read).

> 3.) Why do you think the theme of Hosea's wife and children is dropped
> in favor of a direct reference to Israel and God in a marriage
> relationship?

Hoseas marriage was an "introduction" (and maybe an ongoing remainder) for the
prophecy.

Blessings,
Jukka