[CS-FSLUG] redmon / ghostscript

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Mon Aug 23 21:30:19 CDT 2004

Has anyone dealt with Redmon and Ghostscript in the past?  Probably more of you
are familiar with the latter than the former, but redmon is a program that
emulates a printer port in windows and will feed the output of it into a
program of your choosing (or other things).

Basically, I've got a cheap laser printer here (Samsung ML-1710 with Windows,
Mac, and Linux drivers ... but it's hooked up to a windows machine right now),
and it must be sucking up some of the host CPU or something, as it doesn't want
to print unless you're at the local machine.

I setup a redirected port that would accept postscript, and then redirected
output to ghostscript, which in turn can can use the printer driver on the
machine (I do love the convoluted way that I'm stuck doing things ... and even
if I can get this to work, I won't have much control over the printer).

I've managed to get it to the stage where I can successfully print a test page
and a number of other types of documents from another windows box in the house
(progress!).  However, I've yet to get printing working either on one of my
Linux boxes or on my Mac (which also uses CUPS), and Ghostscript is also
refusing to print if I feed it a PDF file (I've tried several from different
sources).

Here's the command that I attempted to use to get a PDF file printed: gswin32c
-sDEVICE=mswinpr2 -sOutputFile="%printer%Samsung ML-1710 Series" -dNOPAUSE
-dBATCH -dNoCancel -Ic:\gs\gs8.14\lib;c:\gs\fonts c:\david\bard.pdf

I'm hoping if I can manage to print that file, then my other problems will also
clear up.  Any idea what parameters I may have failed to set correctly?  Or
does anyone have any idea as to what else I may have done wrong?

BTW, anyone interested in a writeup if I do eventually get this working?

David