[CS-FSLUG] Extranet solution

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Mon Aug 23 07:25:23 CDT 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 07:29 pm, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
Hi Josiah,

> A text based browser, unless the information you need to find out what
> you want is also in PDF, or just turn off images in your normal browser
> for you time there. Sounds like a rather ugly site.

I did try Lynx on the site and it loaded so fast, I couldn't even time it. But
even I had a little bit of a hassle learning how to navigate through the site
to get to the documents.

Also, the Sub-Contractor is using windows 2000, Im scared they aren't going to
be open to this kind of change.

Is there any text based browsers for Windows 2000 that I could suggest to
them?

> David M. wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am doing some work for a sub contractor of a contractor, and the
> > contractor has an extranet that the sub contractors have to log into to
> > get all the information on the homes that are being built  and this
> > extranet is very very very slow at loading.
> >
> > The sub contractors are required to log into the extranet to get any
> > information they need to get the home done, but some of the sub's are in
> > an area where they cannot get DSL or cable and their only choice is
> > dial-up.
> >
> > Well, I am looking for a way (if it's possible) to be able to log onto
> > this extranet without having to wait forever for the thousands of pdf
> > forms to load and only grab the pdf's that is needed.
> >
> > Since the contractor doesn't have ftp, I can't use that. But im wondering
> > if there is any other way I could get the information. Even on my 1.5
> > MB/s cable connection, it takes a good half hour to an hour for the page
> > to fully load and be usable. This is rediculous and the builder doesn't
> > realize that the longer it takes the sub contractor to get the job done,
> > the more money they will lose. Time is money! But the contractor has made
> > no effort to improve anything despite all the complaints.
> >
> > Would anyone by any chance know of a solution I could use for this
> > problem? I was thinking of trying to write a script that would log onto
> > the extranet and not load anything at all, and have the script only grab
> > the information that is needed.
> >
> > My idea of of a solution to this problem would be quite similiar to file
> > sharing software without the bells and whistles. Log on, type the name of
> > the pdf you need and grab it viola, done!
> >
> > Thanks

David M.