[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent Linux crash

K. Luckenbaugh kluck at gdrs.com
Mon Aug 23 10:14:57 CDT 2004

Eduardo Sanchez wrote:

>Hi Ruth,
>
>First of all, welcome to the list. I am sorry I haven't had the time to
>welcome you before, but I'm really swamped.
>
>I am, if I can say so, a kind of Mandrake veteran, so I might try a hand
>on helping you. Your system appears to be really hosed!
>
>Were you able to go into a text-based console? You said:
>

>>However, NumLock with Ctl+Alt did bring on the command line. I put in
>>

>my login and password... now what?
>
>Did you get a prompt that looks something in the level of:
>
>[ruth at localhost ruth] $ ...?
>
>If that's the case, then you got into the console.
>
>How do you usually start the graphical environment (KDE)? Do you log in
>using a graphical window, or do you type the "startx" command to start
>the environment?
>
>I would like to have this information so that I could be of further help
>to you.
>
>Blessings,
>

>Eduardo
>

>On Friday 20 August 2004 02:04, linux at rmf.mailshell.com wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>I'm back to report on trying out the various pieces of advice you gave
>>

>me on my apparent crash of Linux or Mandrake 9.1 . I took time off to
>do that last night.
>

>>Since there were quite a few, I'll try to condense this rather than
>>

>doing a lot of quoting. Just to refresh your memories, I have no
>graphics or links on my desktop so I can't get into Mandrake Control to
>change any settings. I had figured out how to get a command prompt, but
>didn't (still don't ) know what commands to give.
>

>>First I tried Jukka's idea of  Ctrl+Alt++ to resize the screen in case
>>

>the graphics were just beyond the edge.  (Easiest first). No go. It did
>adjust the black edges of the screen, but didn't bring the toolbar, or
>anything to click on back.
>

>>I tried Kathy's idea next to bring up a console with the Alt+<Fn> or
>>

>function keys. No go. You said  using Alt+Ctrl+backspace would kill my
>X server. Oh-oh! Maybe the damage has already been done? However,
>NumLock with Ctl+Alt did bring on the command line. I put in my login
>and password... now what? :)
>

>>So I tried various commands that I thought would get me

Ruth,
Forgive me if I am giving you old info, but maybe try this:

I believe that Mandrake may be using the XF86config-4 files.

Do this from the command line:

[ruth at localhost ruth]#   su -
Password:   (/your root password goes here/)

[root at localhost root]# cd   /etc/X11
[root at localhost X11]# ls

Now you should see XF86config-4 or XF86config  text files.  It looked
like (to me) like you were trying to go to a directory called
/etc/X11/XF86Config (that isn't a directory). The print statement , "no
such directory" is true because you tried to put a file name into the
directory path.  The file "XF86Config is in the directory "X11" which is
in "etc" .

I f  this was successful, and you can see the files XF86Config and
XF86Config-4, email me back. kluck at gdrs.com and I'll walk you through it

-Kelly