[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea 2

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Mon Aug 23 02:28:24 CDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:37:46 -0500
Timothy R. Butler <tbutler at uninetsolutions.com> wrote:

> Here is this week's reading:
>
> http://www.biblegateway.net/cgi-bin/bible?
> language=english&passage=Hosea+2&version=NIV
>
> Ice Breaker Question: God seems to tell the people of Israel of a time
>
> of reconciliation after punishment. Growing up, did your parents talk
>
> about a time of forgiveness after your punishment? Would that have
> made  you feel better than just receiving punishment, or would it have
> simply  made things worse realizing what will be but only after you
> receive  punishment?
>
> Study Questions:
>
> 1.) Why do you think God removed Israel from the land it lived in?

Because of disobedience. Israel was told, in the Law, that if they
disobeyed God's commandments they would eventually be taken out of the
Land.

> While a time of reconciliation is referred to, we know that this has
> not occurred yet, at least. Do you think this is unfair in light of
> the  fact that Judah was able to remain an identifiable unit that
> returned  after a period of exile?

Since the picture is of God as a husband and Israel as His wife, then it
must follow that the 12 tribes are in view and not just the 10 northern
ones.

> 2.) Chapter 2 repeats many of the themes of chapter 1. What do you
> infer by those themes that are repeated?

That God wants it to be cemented into their minds and hearts that he
means what He says -- that it is not to be taken lightly.

> 3.) Why do you think the theme of Hosea's wife and children is dropped
>
> in favor of a direct reference to Israel and God in a marriage
> relationship?

Because Hosea's wife and children were a parable of the reality of
Israel's harlotry and this is what God wanted them to see -- roll on
chapter 3!

> Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
> ==================== <tbutler at uninet.info> ====================
> | Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
> |      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
> | GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
> |            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
> Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com