[CS-FSLUG] Extranet solution

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Sun Aug 22 09:04:20 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I am doing some work for a sub contractor of a contractor, and the contractor
has an extranet that the sub contractors have to log into to get all the
information on the homes that are being built  and this extranet is very very
very slow at loading.

The sub contractors are required to log into the extranet to get any
information they need to get the home done, but some of the sub's are in an
area where they cannot get DSL or cable and their only choice is dial-up.

Well, I am looking for a way (if it's possible) to be able to log onto this
extranet without having to wait forever for the thousands of pdf forms to
load and only grab the pdf's that is needed.

Since the contractor doesn't have ftp, I can't use that. But im wondering if
there is any other way I could get the information. Even on my 1.5 MB/s cable
connection, it takes a good half hour to an hour for the page to fully load
and be usable. This is rediculous and the builder doesn't realize that the
longer it takes the sub contractor to get the job done, the more money they
will lose. Time is money! But the contractor has made no effort to improve
anything despite all the complaints.

Would anyone by any chance know of a solution I could use for this problem? I
was thinking of trying to write a script that would log onto the extranet and
not load anything at all, and have the script only grab the information that
is needed.

My idea of of a solution to this problem would be quite similiar to file
sharing software without the bells and whistles. Log on, type the name of the
pdf you need and grab it viola, done!

Thanks
--
David M.