[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea Chapter 1

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Wed Aug 18 12:04:07 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:25:30 -0500
Ed Hurst <softedges at tconline.net> wrote:

> Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> >"Sons of  >>the living God." What do you think this return to a
> >relationship to God  >>will be?
> >>
> >>[flame suit on] God declares that the covenant relationship is
> >stretched >to the breaking point. Very soon, He will disown His
> >people, then >reconsitute His people on a wholly different basis,
> >with a New Covenant. >Rather than mere Servants of God, they would be
> >true Children of God by >the blood of Jesus. The meaning behind the
> >term "God's People" would >change completely -- no longer a race or
> >nation of people, but a whole >new kind of humanity. "Jew" will cease
> >to have any meaning in that context.
> >

> > Ed, are you implying here that God broke the covenant in order to
> > create a new one later or do you mean to say it morphs into another
> > shape more encompassing in nature and grace?
>
> No, the Jews broke the Covenant. Repeatedly. After awhile, the Lord
> has enough of it and gives them their choice. However, the Covenant of
>
> Moses, in my view, was never inteneded as permanent. It was offered to
> a specific people, in a specific place, at a specific time in history.
>
> They left it. It was at the same time a way-station with the ulitimate
>
> goal being the New Covenant. Moses was the soil in which the seed of
> finality was planted. Whether it "morphs" or "displaces" is not a
> distinction I see clearly made in Scripture. There's something of
> both, and yet neither. What is clearly stated is that the only way to
> relate to God now is through His Son.
>
> --
> Ed Hurst
> -----------
> Software Freedom Day - 28 August 2004
> Got freedom?
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
> ---

Hi Ed,

And I thought we didn't see eye to eye on things (much). I agree that
the Law of Moses was a temporary, just for the Israelites until Messiah
came and fulfilled the Law.

I think the area that we disagree on is the everlasting covenants that
God made with the Jewish people -- one being the promise of the land.

Anyway, how did your flamesuit fare?

Blessings (I mean it),

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com