[CS-FSLUG] (no subject)

linux at rmf.mailshell.com linux at rmf.mailshell.com
Mon Aug 16 17:23:03 CDT 2004

Hi Ruth!  <waving feverishly>

>> <snip>
>> I only found out later that in Linux you don't re-boot! I've
>> learned to bring up a command prompt by using Alt+Ctl+Backspace,
Did you expect the wealth of information you've gotten so far?  :)

> Since I don't think anyone has said this yet, just a note: That key
> combination will mercilessly kill your X server.  Sounds like you just
> want momentary access to the command line.

You're so right! I had no idea there were so many options! Thanks for this idea here and all the others I've just read.

I was away at a funeral on Saturday and came home to fine my site migration
had finally taken place, but none of my forms are working. I've got to switch
gears tonight and get a newsletter done that has to go to the printers this
week, so it will probably be tomorrow night before I get to try out any of
these suggestions, but I'll be happy to report which ones work for me.

By the way, my Pegasus doesn't like logins with @ in them, so I'm breaking
myself in to Mozzila Thunderbird today. Right now I 'think' can receive from all my domain addresses at the new location.

> While in in the graphical environment, hit Ctrl-Alt-<Fn> to get to a
> console, where <Fn> is one of the function keys F1-F6.  Once you're at
> the console, Alt-<Fn> switches you to another one.  You have 6 console
> screens available to you in Mandrake.  To return to the graphical
> environment, hit Alt-F7.

> I use Mandrake 10 at work.

> - Kathy

Thanks again everyone! something is bound to get me going now! :)

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth