[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea Chapter 1

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Mon Aug 16 02:09:00 CDT 2004

Quoting Timothy Butler <tbutler at uninetsolutions.com>:

> 	Earlier this year, I was encouraged by Brian Derr and Kelly Armstrong
> to bring back the weekly CS-BibleStudy. At the time, they were kind
> enough to offer to help, but things happened and I never got around to
> getting the ball rolling. It is time to just get the ball rolling and
> see where we go. This time around, we are starting in the book of

Great to see the bible study back!

> Study Questions:
> 1.) Why do you suppose that God wanted Hosea to live out, symbolically,
> the problems of Israel by marrying an adulterous wife and having
> unfaithful children (other prophets didn't have to do this!)?

In connection with question #4, this is one of the reasons that this book has
always seemed particularly puzzling to me.  Why Hosea, and if Hosea then why
not others as well?

> 3.) Judah and Israel/Samara never reunified.  Yet this passage promises
> reunification. Do you think this refers symbolically to the removal of
> separation through faith in Jesus in the future (for them) or perhaps
> something still in the future -- perhaps an end times reunification?

Well, the kingdom of Israel, as mentioned in verse 4 came to an end, and AFAIK
the people there were split apart, intermarried (etc.) so I don't exactly know
how you'd isolate a people to reunite with Judah.  To me this passage seems to
indicate reunification not only of Judah and Israel, but of all people, through
faith in Christ.  (or could it refer to the formation of the modern nation of
Israel?)

David Aikema