[CS-FSLUG] Really bad situation

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 8 00:05:51 CDT 2004

For well over a month now Windows XP has been running terribly unstable, in a
best case scenario uptime has reached about 5 minutes, I don't know whats
wrong with the thing, I've got up to date anti-virus and I do regular scans,
I've got a firewall, I've got all the available windows updates, I don't use
Internet Explorer (I use firefox), I have literally nothing more then the a
completely bare Windows XP system with a few games and programs that won't
run in Linux.

I've checked the hardware with memtest86, it ran through over 70 times without
finding anything wrong with the ram, I've run scandisk in Windows (Windows
doesn't like letting Linux scan and fix its drives) and I've done everything
else I could think of to make the thing run stabily to no avail.

The only time I can remember it running well was from the time of purchase up
to april, the rest of the time it became increasingly unstable up to this
point at which it won't even run for 5 mintues any more.

The only possible lead I have is that the video card monitor at one point said
that the card was overheating or something along those lines, I didn't catch
the full message since it went away fairly quickly and ever since then I've
checked the monitor regularly to find that the Video card was running at a
perfectly reasonable temperature.