[CS-FSLUG] Minimum requirements on the rise

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 26 23:39:19 CDT 2004

It would seem that minimum requirements are on the rise again, Mandrake
10.0 needs 128 Mb of ram as do most distributions and the FTP installs
usually need about 192+ Mb of ram. That does seem margionally higher
then a year or two back with the minimum requirement for most
distributions was only 64 Mb of ram for a local installation.

I was wondering how long it will be before the minimum jumps up to
something like 256 Mb of ram or even 512 Mb, and then what about
processor requirements. I'm just curious how much everyone thinks
minimum requirements are going to climb over the next few years, has it
really gotten to the point where we're going to have to double our
computer's ram every two years and our computer's processors every five
in order to keep up with the mainstream Linux distributions?