[CS-FSLUG] Linux success story

Leon Brooks xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net
Wed Apr 21 00:15:53 CDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:12, Frank Bax wrote:
> How does it work when both machines are behind dynamic ip addresses?

I use a dynamic DNS with a timeout on the RR's of 300 seconds (5
minutes). You could wind that back a lot if you didn't mind a little
more DNS traffic.

> This would not have worked with only windows machines because vnc
> would 'takeover' the desktop of a windows machine running vncserver -
> linux allows this to happen without disturbing a user sitting the
> machine, so we used a desktop Linux PC at a site with fast internet
> connection.

Not true. Every VNC I've used, Windows or elsewhere, gives you the
option of setting up for one of:

  * Caller as observer, local user in control

  * Caller siezes control, local user can't interact

  * Both in control, mouse wars!

They also offer the option of notifying the local user when a caller
connects, or requiring the local user (with an optional timeout
defaulting to either yes or no) to approve the connection.

What Windows can't do without an expensive Terminal Server version is
set up virtual displays (no hardware) and allow callers to connect to
those. You *can* actually run such a 'doze without a video card at all
if you're a Bronze Developer or similar, a trick which is trivial with
Linux and can be done by anyone (step 1: shut down machine; step 2:
unplug video card; step 3: power up machine - steps 1 & 3 may be
omitted if you have hot-pluggable hardware).

Cheers; Leon

--
"For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone," says the Lord God.
"Turn, then, and live" -- Ezekiel 18:32, NRSV