[CS-FSLUG] Fedora core 1

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 18 23:07:29 CDT 2004

I've been using Fedora core 1 for a few hours and I have no major complaints
so far, I had some fun manually configuring the mount points so they could be
mounted by ordinary users and I even added my usb disk to /etc/fstab without
any trouble. I've also managed to configure KDE more or less to my liking.

I've got my printers working, I've got KDE configured to my liking, I've got
no problem with the current GTK theme and if it does become a problem I could
probably figure out how to change it. I've got apt installed and it worked
right away, I've also got mplayer, xine and I'm going to be working on
getting KMplayer from source unless there does turn out to be an RPM for it.

Overall I'm fairly happy with Fedora, I've found its missing a few KDE
applications and the menu has left them out or put them in the wrong submenu
but I've reorganised it to my liking.

The only problem I'm having now is getting sound to work, aside from that
everything else is fine, perhaps one of the other Fedora Core users would
have some idea of when Fedora Core 2 will be released and what mediums of
updating will be available. I'd also appreciate any tips on how to get my
sound working without using the driver supplied on my mainboard CD, those
default to having the sound turned all the way down and I don't think FC has
alsamixer (KMix won't realize the volume is off usually) unless I can get it
through apt.