[CS-FSLUG] Transitions

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Thu Apr 8 09:15:16 CDT 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 17:10, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> listmail at rotundus.com scripted ::
[snip]
> >Actually, such can be done for linux with not too much effort using
> >kickstart in Redhat/Mandrake or Autoyast in SuSE.  When doing a
> >Redhat installation (the latest I've played with there is 9.0), for
> >example, after installation a kickstart configuration file with the
> >details of the installation you just did is saved into root's home
> >directory.  There are also facilities provided to run
> >postinstallation scripts to handle stuff like adding in security
> >patches.  This is something that I have thrown together before at
> >work.
> >
> >There is a similar open-source install deployment method that will
> >work for Windows 2000/XP (and perhaps others), although I can't quite
> >recall the name.
>
> How does it respond when you run that same install on a Dell Notebook
> with a P4, a Gateway from the late 80's, and a Compaq that came out of
> some former government agency. My question, more precisely, can I use
> that same install on various types of hardware. We don't often get
> more than three of the same type of computer donated at a time.
>
> JSR/

Hi Josiah!

I have never used AutoYaST by myself, but found this from its documentation:
"Using AutoYaST, multiple systems sharing the same environment and similar but
not necesserily identical hardware performing similar tasks can easily be
installed in parallel and in a short time."

You can find more information here:
http://www.suse.de/~nashif/autoinstall/ref.html

Blessings,
Jukka