[CS-FSLUG] Commentary: Microsoft Invented Personal Computin

Greg Slade gslade at studio.cbbs.org
Wed Apr 7 21:51:32 CDT 2004

> Bill Gates claimed last year that Microsoft invented personal
> computing.

I once wrote to Road & Track in response to a Chrysler ad saying that
Chrysler had "invented the minivan", and asking if they had never heard
of the VW microbus[1] immortalised in Woody Guthrie's song "Alice's
Restaurant." The editor wrote back defending Chrysler as having coined
the *term* "minivan", but I noticed that the ads were changed to describe
Chrysler as "the minivan company."

God bless,

Greg

[1] I also listed assorted small vans not generally available in North
America, but with a long history on the road elsewhere in the world, like
Toyota's Liteace, or an incredibly cute (because it's so tiny) minivan
made by Fiat.

Greg Slade                              www.associate.com/camsoc/greg/
gslade at studio.cbbs.org                       www.associate.com/camsoc/
"Have you read my #1 best seller?  There will be a test.         -God"
                                                 - Billboard in Dallas