[OfB Talk] Re: [Foss-cafe] No. 43 Gets 4 More Years! (Kerry Concedes)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun Nov 7 17:24:15 CST 2004

> Actually, Fred, so am I.
>
> The better choice, I feel, although, as in the UK, I wonder how much
> Bush support is a vote against Kerry, rather than a vote for Bush.
>
> That's what you get with a two horse race.

	That's true. In a way, I think it would be nice if we had some kind of
run off election system so that at times (not this election, obviously,
but in 92, 96 and 00) that there was less than a 50% majority, you
might have a chance for a third party candidate to really impact the
election.

	On the other hand, I think the U.S. could actually be fairly third
party friendly. The problem, IMO, is that our "other parties" are
typically on the fringe. I like the Libertarians, but they go too far
into eliminating government even for a conservative like me. The
constitutional party seems to have some good ideas, but they also are a
bit too radical (e.g. advocating ignoring laws and the court when they
disagree) and too isolationist.

	Some of the other parties, like the Reform party, only agree
internally on what they oppose rather than what they support -- another
fatal problem. The Reform party presidential candidate in 2000 was far
right-winger Pat Buchannan followed by left of Kerry left winger Ralph
Nader this year. The uniting cause seems to be merely a belief against
NAFTA.

	Maybe some of you people from the other side of the pond could import
a good third party over here that might actually give the other two a
run for their money. :-)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)