[Foss-cafe] Greetings!

Steven Hatfield steven at lacasacontenta.net
Thu Mar 1 06:43:12 CST 2007

>>         On the computer front, since the last time this list was very
>> exciting, I also became a full time Mac user...

There is quite a bit of FOSS that has been ported to Mac OS X, using
MacPorts (neé DarwinPorts) and Fink... so the Mac is not entirely a
closed platform.

I have a (2x3Ghz) Mac Pro that I use as my primary desktop and I like
the idea that I can "dial it in", if I want.  I just reinstalled my
system a couple of weeks ago (added a 2nd 500GB HDD and striped my
Tiger) so right now I'm 100% "Mac software", which seems to suite me
ok.  I do want to get nmap back, so I'll be installing MacPorts again
soon.

I have a 2nd Mac (A 2x2Ghz PowerMac G5) that is running loads of
FOSS: File, Print, Mail and Web servers, etc.  It is the host for
"www.knightswood.net" and "www.lacasacontenta.net".  It's
unbelievably stable, I haven't had a problem with that machine,
either software or hardware, in 3 years.

I have a 3rd Mac (A 400Mhz PowerMac G4) whose job it is to just play
music throughout the house via Airport Express and AirTunes.  I
bought it in Oct 1999, and have not had a single problem with the
machine, other than a HDD crash about 4 years ago.  My wife used it
as her primary machine for over 3 years, until I bought the Mac Pro
and replaced it with the G5.  She couldn't believe how much faster
the G5 was than the G4.  I couldn't believe that she didn't complain
about the slowness of the G4 sooner ;-)

Are there any other Mac users on the list, and to what extent have
you used FOSS that has been ported to it?

Do you prefer Fink or MacPorts?

Cheers,
-Steven