[Foss-cafe] More on (Software) Patents

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jan 1 05:33:35 CST 2006

I stumbled across this:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6762569.WKU.&OS=PN/6762569&RS=PN/6762569

I don't know how much technical knowledge is needed to see just how
absurd this patent is.  As an electronic engineer, it is LOLROF. :-D

I post this to illustrate my point which I have previously made which is
that the software patent problem isn't really about software patents, it
is about totally worthless and inherently invalid patents -- a problem
which applies to all patents and needs to be addressed as it applies to
all patents.

I note that there are already regular (magnetic transformer) ballasts
which do this.  They are called CWA ballasts - Constant Wattage
Autoformer.  So, making a electronic ballast which does the same thing
using prior art (e.g. feedback and an analog multiplier) to accomplish
the same thing should not be grounds for a patent.

There is nothing in this patent which is not obvious to any
electrical/electronic engineer.  IMHO this patent is garbage and I
wonder why the patent examiner even considered granting it.  It should
not have been granted and this is an instance of the general problem
which needs to be fixed.

--
JRT