[Foss-cafe] Regarding Freds Comments on KDE

penguinista007 penguinista007 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:54:49 CDT 2005

Even although I've now decided to give up on Linux as a Desktop/Laptop
operating system I like to add my 2p worth to the discussion. This is based
on my use of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I can't speak for the the way other distros
implement these desktops as none of the ones I tried recently would install
properly on my laptop

I'll quote Fred first (selectively to keep it shorter)
" QT applications just feel about 10 years out of date compared to GTK apps.
They're ugly and slow, and they make me feel like I'm constantly waiting on
my computer. GTK apps, while probably not any quicker doing actual work, get
stuff up on screen in a timely fashion and therefore feel more responsive.
QT also makes me feel like I'm using an XBox or
something, with all the plasticy looking ugly-ass widgets that glow and
pulsate.

The underlying Kparts technology is really kinda nice, but I won't touch it
until it looks as clean and elegant as GNOME does, and doesn't make me think
I need to buy a new computer because the 6 month old machine sitting on my
desk is too slow to render the taskbar without me watching it go pixel by
pixel."

I must agree with Fred on most of the above. Looks wise it's like something
out of the '90s. As for responsiveness, well on my, admittedly not cutting
edge Thinkpad, KDE is really slow. The whole interface is clunky.

Is there any "REAL" need to be able to change every single aspect of the
system as part of the stanard install/setup? I can only speak for myself and
a couple of friends and say NO.

As for Open Office.. don't ask!! It's go off and make a cup of coffee time.
It even loads quicker on Windows.

That's not to say that I would really endorse Gnome. Whoever came up with
the GUI needs to go off and read some of Bruce Tognazzini's work on
interface design. A system menu bar along the top plus a panel along the
bottom (OK the latter can be moved) and then each application has it's own
menu bar at the top as well!!! Look at OS X to see how a GUI should work. At
least the File Manager has been improved. On earlier versions of Ubuntu you
had the choice of opening things in a new window a la Windows 95, or using
the browser interface. It's nice to see that that has gone.

It's sad to say but GTK apps like Gaim,IMHO, actually look better on Windows
than they do on Gnome. I must admit Gaim is an exellent application so I
can't explain why this should be so. Maybe someone here can explain that

I now use OS X on the desktop, XP on the laptop, Linux on my
Firewall/Gateway and for the moment CentOS (in the form of Asterisk at home) on
the other box. It works for me but probably not for anyone else here. After
saying that I'm off to put on my asbestos overalls whilst waiting for the
flames

Sandy

Mac OS X
Because making Unix User Friendly is easier than De-bugging Windows