[Foss-cafe] Comparing housings/hostings/VPS

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Wed May 12 18:23:00 CDT 2004

Hi,
> Recently we purchased a dedicated computer with two ips to install our servers
> to find out latter that the whole net was blacklisted as spammers and that
> our providers didn't care about it (in fact, they seem to encourage
> spamming), if someone is interested: serverpronto.com.

	Yeah, they are suppose to be really terrible. I went with
ThePlanet/ServerMatrix, which charges more, but has a very strict spam
policy, etc. SM starts at under $100.

	If you want a dedicated server, I understand 1&1 is decent, but not
great. They start at $49.

	Slashdot often has a company advertising (whose name escapes me at the
moment) that offers VPS, by the way. I'm not sure if they are any good,
but I think their prices are comparable.

> So, I started looking for alternatives and I've found out about VPS, Virtual
> Private Server which is, running a linux inside another linux or something
> like that (for more information, google).
> Searching and searching I reached this page:
> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/uses.html which has a list of ISPs
> that provides you your own virtual server, so, it is like you have your own
> hardware, but you run in a virtual hardware, so, it is cheaper.
> But now I have the problem of comparing all those listed services (and
> include, in the comparition, other that sells real hardware).
> I was recomended http://www.linode.com/ because it has a nice control pannel,
> it is not listed as spammers (and the owner is against spam) and so on... but
> as you add features to compare it becomes harder, so, does anybody have a
> recomendation ?

	I'd recommend going to WebHostingTalk.com and doing a search... see if
you find anyone talking about Linode. You'll find lots of interesting
information on hosts there.

	As far as features, I'd recommend a host that offers cPanel if
possible, it'll offer the most for your control panel money. Otherwise
Plesk is good, from what I hear. A quick glance looks like Linode is
offering Webmin as the option for a control panel for advanced
administration of your vps.

	-Tim
Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |