[Foss-cafe] a little piece i wrote on the end of the world

Fred Smith fps at dividedsky.net
Mon Mar 29 13:32:35 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 14:17, Daniel Cassidy wrote:
> Using PHP to write GUI software is quite frankly insane.

I don't agree at all.  PHP is a great language to write small to
mid-sized GTK applications in.  It has *tons* of great features like
database integration, string manipulation routines, network transparent
file handles, XML-RPC/SOAP functionality, image manipulation libraries,
etc.  And that's not even counting the stuff you can do when you
integrate pear. It's also much faster than you'd think an interpreted
language could be. On a modern machine (like my 3 year old thinkpad)
it's difficult to tell that the application isn't running from native
compiled code.

The only downside I find is that it depends on having the php
interpreter installed, which isn't something you can always depend on
with a desktop machine.

--
Fred Smith <fps at dividedsky.net>
Divided Sky Internet