[Foss-cafe] Novell's new desktop

Fred Smith fps at dividedsky.net
Wed Mar 24 16:51:34 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 16:47, dep wrote:
> quoth Fred Smith:
>
> | Gnome 2.6 is shipping with an email, contact, calendar, and
> | addressbook system called evolution-data-server, which allows any
> | application (not just evolution) to connect with these data sources.
>
> how? it seems to me that there would have to be some kind of standard to
> make this possible.

Well, it allows it via an accessable API, but I don't believe it's any
sort of standard.  Kmail isn't just going to work right out of the box
unless someone writes an EDS kioslave or a module for EDS that publishes
the data as an IMAP-style service.

KMail *could* just access the standard mbox files in ~/evolution (or
~/.evolution in 2.0), but that's not the best way to do things as mbox
files are flat files and have problems when multiple applications try to
write to them.

>  but without standards
> for such things as mail subdirectories, addressbooks, and even certain
> configurations, this is an unpleasant thing and often one whence there
> is no easy, safe return if the new app proves less promising than it
> seemed.

Well, there *are* standards for mailboxes with subdirectories(MailDir),
address books(VCF), and much of what constitutes a mail client
configuration (mailcap).  If Kmail is breaking mailboxes or address
books between versions, then Kmail likely isn't following standards yet
again.

--
Fred Smith <fps at dividedsky.net>
Divided Sky Internet