[CS-FSLUG] Trying to set up my desktop to serve as a sort of "gateway"

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Wed Oct 15 18:01:55 CDT 2014

Well, really a gateway to the gateway. I want to connect to a VPN, or at
least to a private proxy, for use in Mexico, but I want each and all of
our Internet devices to be connected through it.

I have read that it is possible to set up a Linux box to interpose itself
between the Internet, and everything on the LAN, and still provide the
devices on the LAN to communicate with the WAN. I think the article I was
reading was for a Firewall, which would be OK, but my purpose is for a
VPN.

I have installed an extra communication card with an Ethernet connector,
and the computer does recognize that it is there, and identifies it
properly, but I haven't the faintest idea how to adjust the machine to my
purposes, or what information to look for in that regard.

I've just spent several hours looking for answer, but don't seem to be
getting anywhere. I'll be using Mint 11 I think.