[CS-FSLUG] openSUSE shows how to promote a release

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Mar 26 21:12:52 CDT 2013

Linux Magazine:

<http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/openSUSE-shows-how-to-promote-a-release?utm_source=Linux+Newsletter&utm_campaign=Linux_Update_31_Is_Wayland_the_New_X_2013-03-26&utm_medium=email>

openSUSE shows how to promote a release

Mar 14, 2013 9:39pm GMT

Bruce Byfield

Over the years, I've written and talked several times about how free
software projects should approach journalists. At times, I've been able
to single out publicists who do an especially professional job,
including Jennifer Cloer of The Linux Foundation and Sally Khudairi of
The Apache Foundation. However, mostly, I've spoken in the abstract. I
never had a detailed example to offer -- until last week, when Jos
Poortvliet, openSUSE's community manager, contacted me about the new
12.3 release.

What makes the efforts of Poortvliet' and the rest of the openSUSE
marketing team stand out? To start with, he contacted me with a link to
DVD images six days before the release. By contrast, if the average
project contacts me at all, its members email the day before, often so
late in the day that I can't pitch any ideas to editors until the next
day. I may also have other priorities and be unable to provide timely
coverage unless the news is important enough for me to drop everything
else. Usually, too, I like to use a distribution I'm reviewing for a few
days, instead of rushing into print after an afternoon of playing with
it, so my impressions solidify and I can notice anything not immediately
apparent. Six days gives me time for all these things.

--
"But sometimes, random and meaningless acts of violence are committed by
mean-spirited men for whom the only cure is a dose of .45 caliber lead.