[CS-FSLUG] Windows 7 conectability issues.

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Feb 1 13:28:10 CST 2013

Hi,
One "standard" wireless thing I have seen is to disable the wireless
adapter and re-enable it.  I have seen many Windows 7 wireless
adapters that are fixed with this one.

I would second the "disable IPv6" comment.  Windows 7 prefers IPv6
where it thinks it can get away with it.

If that fails, I would try disabling the windows (or antivirus)
firewall temporarily to see if that is the issue.

If that fails, download a copy of wireshark (either by using a wired
connection or on a different computer and transferring it over).
Wireshark is like tcpdump on Linux.  Connect via wireless, run
wireshark doing a "capture" and do a number of DNS queries.  You can
probably use one of these filters:
   udp.port==53
   tcp.port==53
   ip.host=[his IP address here]

For example, if his IP is 192.168.0.23
   ip.host=192.168.0.23

Most DNS uses udp, but some uses tcp.  If you find that it is using
tcp instead of UDP, that will tell us something.  If you do not see
anything going out, that will tell us something.  If you see it going
out on UDP, but nothing coming back (if it goes from his IP out, but
we do not see any responses from the name-server) that tells us
something.  Also, look at the IP address of the name-server to make
sure it is actually using the name-server you expect it to be using.

     - Tim

Ps. I assume you will be seeing my dad down there in Mexico in a few
days.  If so, greet him for me.  I will be down in Mitla, Oaxaca from
Sun - Fri teaching Linux security to some folks.  Looking forward to
a brief visit to Mexico.  It has been a number of years.