[CS-FSLUG] Windows 7 conectability issues.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Feb 1 12:12:05 CST 2013

On 02/01/2013 12:15 PM, davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:
> We are now in Mexico connected to the TELMEX system, which is the landline
> 'almost monopoly' system. Got everything in our house working just fine,
> even my wifes winxp laptop on wifi.  But the pastor here has a win7
> laptop.  Strange (to me ) thing.
>
> It connects by wifi to the modem, nd can png the modem, and other
> computers (ours) connected to the modem either by cable, or wifi. It can
> even ping internet sites by ip number, but not by name.  Will even show
> some of the sites when I put the ip number in the URL line of the browser.
> It seems that it won't connect to any Name Server.
>
> I managed to change the DNS settings in the win7 machine, but still won't
> connect to any wan by name. I also changed the DNS in the modem, but no
> change.
>
> Any ideas what could keep it from connecting?  Oh, by the way, t works
> fine when connected by cable to the modem.

It sounds like it's not set to "auto" change site name and/or DNS. By
default it
should set that way, but it may have gotten messed up.

Ah......what are you doing in Mexico?

Fred

--
Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and
every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right