[CS-FSLUG] Open source races to the top | Open source software

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Aug 1 16:35:12 CDT 2013

    Not only is open source producing the most exciting new software,
    it's creating a DMZ where big players can shape the future of
    enterprise tech

Last week's OSCON conference served to remind us that open source
software is setting the pace. We've come a very long way from the old
saw that "open source doesn't innovate." Instead, you might ask: Is
innovation in enterprise software happening anywhere else other than in
open source land?

Hadoop is at the center of the big data trend. OpenStack has the
momentum in private cloud. Open source frameworks and IDEs absolutely
dominate app dev, while all the leading NoSQL databases are open source.
Do I need to mention that Android now powers more smartphones than any
other mobile OS? Plus, Microsoft and Salesforce excepted, you'd be
hard-pressed to find a cloud provider that uses anything but open source
software to deliver its service.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/open-source-software/open-source-races-the-top-223569?source=IFWNLE_nlt_openenterprise_2013-07-31

--
Trusting Obama With Border Security Is Like Trusting
Bill Clinton With Your Daughter!