[CS-FSLUG] Multiple Monitors and three programs at once

Josiah Ritchie josiah at josiahritchie.com
Mon Apr 22 13:52:51 CDT 2013

I believe this mostly falls to video cards. The operating systems can
certainly support the monitors. You just need some video cards. Typical
advice is to have the same video card for each monitor if you don't have
one card that can handle three monitors itself. It makes life easier. I've
done it with differing cards, but it can be rough. You may also want to
avoid on-board video for this.

The biggest trick on Linux is getting you X config setup just right so that
whatever you put on top of it (Gnome, KDE, Unity, etc.) works. I think
that's where having the same cards is helpful. If you go with NVidia cards,
they have proprietary drivers that include a program that helps get
everything lined up properly for you and organize the monitors however you
wish physically.

Once you struggle through the hardware and X config, the rest should be
pretty straight forward. In the modern OSs you may find they handle the
detection and configuration really well if you have the same card and will
just come up. Then you just have to tell it where you have the monitors
physically so it knows how to interact with them.

JSR/

http://about.me/josiah