[CS-FSLUG] Who understands details about powerpc?

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Thu Nov 8 12:48:26 CST 2012

I was given a nice, well preserved iBook g3 powerpc.  I see that there
are several linux distros for it, that look quite promising, but they
all seem to require boot from CD, or some work in the Terminal.

Can't seem to get it to boot from the CD.  Pressing C from the startup
doesn't work.  Neither does pressing D.  I don't know how to get into
the bios settings, or if it's even possible.  I wonder if a setting
there might make the difference.

I also can't figure out how to bring up a text mode or Terminal. I
understand that there are a few linux programs that will run on it even
under OS X, but don't know how to load them, or which ones they might
be.

Usually the instructions that I find are not very clear about what
needs to be done in OS X, and what needs to be done after it is booted
from the CD.

Where can I get some rather exhaustive documentations that will help me
get linux working on this. (I'm thinking right now about MintPPC).