[CS-FSLUG] Why Apple gadgets can’t be made in the U.S.

Josiah Ritchie josiah at josiahritchie.com
Sun Jan 29 13:56:23 CST 2012

The people who are working those jobs wouldn't have the choice of a factory
job if we didn't have companies going there. Then they would have less
choices which apparently are all worse since they are choosing the factory.
Christians have long been in the business of sending their best and
brightest overseas to strange and foreign places. Is it really so contrary
to Christian principles to send some jobs to these people also?

In any case, slavery is still a term that has traditionally been defined
according to how the person is reimbursed, not the conditions of the work.
I'm not saying the conditions aren't bad. I am saying that as Christians we
should understand what the problem really is and not fall prey to some
negative marketing scheme. Pulling out returns those people to the
situation they are abandoning to take those jobs. Changes to working
conditions are good, but what good comes from calling a sweat shop a slave
house? Truth is of high value and should not be compromised for the
expediency of a cause.

JSR/