[CS-FSLUG] OT: Atheism, Inclusivism and Christianity

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 13 20:48:44 CST 2012

*Falwell Confidential*
by Jonathan Falwell

**

  Atheism, Inclusivism and Christianity**

An interesting squabble was stirred up a few days ago on New Year's Eve
when singer Cee Lo Green sang the John Lennon song "Imagine" on NBC's
holiday broadcast.  The humanist anthem, embraced by non-believers
because of its urge for listeners to cast off belief in heaven, includes
the lyric, "Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too."

However, Mr. Green took an opposite approach when he sang the song on
the New Year's program, adopting the lyrics, "Nothing to kill or die
for, and all religion's true."  His reinterpretation of the song was
quickly greeted with criticism by American Atheist members who say Mr.
Green "perverted" the lyrics and "completely distort[ed] the meaning and
significance of the powerful song."

 From a biblical perspective, I would respectfully say to both sides of
this argument that you both are tragically wrong.

In fact, while reading about this dispute over the Lennon song, I could
not help but think of a great quote by the late theologian Francis
Schaeffer, who said: "Truth always carries with it confrontation.  Truth
demands confrontation; loving confrontation, nevertheless.  If our
reflex action is always accommodation regardless of the centrality of
the truth involved, there is something wrong."

And so, as Christians, we must say to the atheist and to those
worshipping a diversity of beliefs that there is only one true and
living God.  Recall that when Jesus conversed with the woman at the well
in John chapter 4, she spoke of the Messiah.  He replied, "I that speak
unto thee am he" (verse 26).  That message must be at the forefront of
all we do and say when we are communicating with non-believers.

Our world has become such a haze of spirituality and total disbelief.
  As I have pointed out before, so many people have no idea who Jesus
is.  As such, they do not even have an understanding of the One in whom
they do not believe.  Many are devout in believing nothing, while others
are sincere in trying to piece together a patchwork of beliefs.  All the
while, the one true God stands before them with open arms.

I am reminded of a passage in "John MacArthur's The Ultimate Priority,
which says, "As Christians we accept one foundational truth -- God --
and everything else makes sense.  An atheist denies God and has to
accept incredible explanations for everything else.

It takes more faith to deny God than to believe in Him."

That leaves Christians with the same responsibility that the Apostle
Paul spoke of in Romans 1:16.  That passage reads, "For I am not ashamed
of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to
every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."  And
like Paul, we must be wise in our faith and use the wisdom of Christ who
is within us to call people unto Him.

Paul wrote these great words in Acts at a time when the persecution of
believers was transpiring and much religious confusing was taking place
within the culture, similar to today.  In our world, people continue to
believe many things, my friends.  They hope to find peace and a reason
for being, but they are ignoring the very One who can fill the empty
hole in their souls.  They thirst but do not find the Living Water of
Jesus Christ.

Let us not be ashamed to call out to all --- no matter what they believe
--- to a faith in Jesus Christ, the Living Savior who calls all men unto
Himself.

--
"Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing
to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and