[CS-FSLUG] [Linux4christians] Response to a Libre Software Skeptic

dcolburn at bibleseven.com dcolburn at bibleseven.com
Thu Jan 12 16:28:01 CST 2012

It seems to me that he postulates a straw man then knocks it down.

Commercial software and Libre software have nothing *legal* in common.

Commercial software is just that, commercial.

Someone creates it and decides that rather than give it away they will
sell the right to use it.  Nothing whatsoever wrong with that.  The
commercial software developer has to eat the same as the farmer, laborer,
manager, and preacher.

Libre software is free, as in salvation.

Someone creates it and chooses to give it away.  Nothing wrong with that.

I fail to comprehend why there is an argument.

No one has the right to acquire and use what I have created without my
permission, nor to make copies and give-away or sell copies - unless I
have explicitely given them permission to do so.  This is foundational to
a functional free-market economy.

No one has the right to profit from what I have created and have chosen to
give away, but they are free to distribute it without charge.  Also simple.

Did I miss anything?

--

Draw nearer to the Lord and He will bless you,
Have an http://Ultrafidian.com Day!