[CS-FSLUG] OT: The Kill Switch Comes to the PC With Windows 8 - Businessweek

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Feb 29 00:25:36 CST 2012

On 02/29/2012 12:35 AM, Marco Tedaldi wrote:
> There has been a kill switch in any windows pc since a long time.
> At least, since wga (I still fail to see the advantage for the user). It
> does check periodically if the license is still deemed valid.
>
> And thanx to windows update (and the closed nature of the whole system)
> ms (or everyone with access to the systems) could easily distribute an
> update which would render targeted systems unusable.
>
> So I'm really questioning any companys and governments sanity when they
> still use the redmond system. It is like giving a foreign government
> remote access to all the data in the company (ok, for US citizens it's
> the own gevernment, I don't know if this makes things better).

No, it doesn't. Here's another little "oddity" with MickySoft's "7".
Build a
desktop with a good MOB....Gigabyte or MSI that allows over-clocking
and an unlocked Intel processor....any flavor. Make sure you use a GOOD
cooler, memory that can be "pushed" and has heat sinks and of course a
cooler to fit over the RAM, and a good quick nVidia based video PCI-16 X2
card. Don't forget at least a 550W power supply and 3 if not 4 120mm
ball bearing fans to move a lot of air. Yep.....I can build a mean box. 8-)

Now, you can install ANY flavor of Linux that you like on that box with NO
problems.....once you've tested to see what speed the CPU can run at
without over-heating and the same for the RAM. This box has been running
for around 5 months now without a hiccup at 4.3Ghz and it's an Intel
iCore 7
rated at 3.4Ghz. openSuSE 12.1 controls it. Oh yes....it has 2 1T hard
drives
that are SATA II 6G and 16G of RAM.....needed for graphics work.

I've tested this on a number of boxen, from over-clocked quad-cores to this
beast. As soon as you over-clock with MickySoft either "7" won't install or
if it does, it won't be long and you'll boot up with an error that the
copy of
"7" isn't authentic, then you'll be in a very minimal mode. To my knowledge
there's no way around it.

And no, I didn't leave "7" on this box.....just tested to see if what
I'd seen
and heard about on other boxen was the same on this one. And yes, most
of those other boxen now have openSuSE 12.1 on them. 'Love it when a
plan comes together!! O:-)

Fred

--
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but