[CS-FSLUG] Upgrade to FireFox 10 - V96, 5

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 00:18:18 CST 2012

On 06.02.2012 03:33, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 02/05/2012 09:16 PM, Don Parris wrote:
>>
>>     Nasty bugs that can affect Linux as well. There's also an updated
>>     Thunderbird to v10.
>>
>> Well, it's pretty moot for me, since Kubuntu posted their update
>> today.  I am on FF 10 now.  :-)
>
> Good! It still doesn't take care of the new malware that can wreak havoc
> with any mailer, if you accept HTML. I prefer it but........

Allowing stuff like html or rtf as mail content ha been one of the worst
ideas ever. It is the cause of every single security problem we have had
with mail clients. It made out mail clients the size they are (the html
code is well more than 50% of the code needed for a mail client). And it
makes reading mail a hassle!

When I get a mail, I want to read it in MY mot, in MY size and on MY
background color! I HATE it when people want to force me to use the
crappy settings they choose (and comic sans as "font"!).
Lucky for me, I can set my client to ignore the html...

It is also the main cause of broken quoting and stuff.

It also makes reading mail slow.
Anyone remembers the text-age? Mutt? How long did it take on a puny 486
with 16MB of ram to jump to the next message? It has been faster than
you could see!
And today? I have 1GB or RAM, 1.6GHz processor clock (not 66MHz like the
486DX2) and still, jumping to the next mail has a noticeable delay...
Sure, some of this delay is due to the GUI stuff... but most of it is
because my computer has to parse trough 10kB or more of stupid code
(html stuff) instead of just reading 1kB of text and pipe it to the screen.

But I know, the fight is lost. It has been lost 10 years ago already. So
I should stop complaining.

The sad part is, that we can't just blame it on MS. I don't know if MS
or Mozilla started with "rich" Mails. Or was it IBM (Lotus nuts?) or
someone else?
Also, we can't blame the broken "Re:" stuff on MS alone. Sure, they
localized it (shudder). In German language settings the have "AW:" for
"Antwort" (=Reply) and "WG:" for "Weitergeleitet" (=Forwarded) instead
of FWD:.
Thats why you often see chains of "Re: Re: Re: Re:" in the subjects of
mails. MS "solved" this by just cutting everything up to the first colon
in the subject. So If you write a Mail to an outlook user with the
subject:"Meeting: bla blubb pffrrrt" you'll get "Re: bla blubb pffrrrrt"
ans an answer... funny, isn't it? (Ok, maybe this has been fixed in
newer versions).
Lotus nuts is even worse. In german localisation they put "Antwort:"
instead of "Re:" in front of the subject on a reply.

Just to note: "Re:" does not mean "reply" to begin with .-)

enough of the ranting. time to start reading the newspaper before I'm at
my workplace (hoooray for power plugs in some swiss trains).

best regards

Marco