[CS-FSLUG] Virtual Machines

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Tue Dec 18 18:53:09 CST 2012

Been playing with virtual machines the past few days. Anybody done much
with them?

Someone gave me Win7 Pro machine; needed only a new hard drive. Got it
back to life and I'm enjoying it as the primary means to my book writing.
It had no office ware on it, so I've had to make the most of it while
saving up. I like the grammar checkers. So I got my hands on a discarded
MS Word 2000 and it runs quite well on Win7. Still, I like to balance that
with WordPerfect and Grammatik.

All I could get was 6.1 for Windows, which works okay in MS's XP Mode.
However, MS Virtual PC is utterly useless for anything else. It's cranky
and only a narrow selection of older distros work at all. They all work
poorly, at that, so far as I can see.

VMware Player allowed me to run Win98 (thinking mostly about older Win/DOS
stuff), but their integration is missing some critical stuff on that. Got
it working in spite of them. However, installing Ubuntu 8.04 was a piece
of cake, scripted in advance. Running it is really impressive. It's fast
and integrated fully with Win7. So I tried my copy of WP8 for Linux, but
had forgotten how bad the fonts were. Almost unusable.

Still, I have a nice way to run Linux when I need it, so long as it's not
something too power-hungry.

--
Ed Hurst
--------