[CS-FSLUG] Building An Experimental LAN

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:14:33 CST 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM, sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> be confusing, but that's a hassle I can live with.  One of the major goals,
>> again, is to divide my LAN into 2, maybe 3 subnets - and really play with
>> the routing and switching options.
>>

> You actually can run several subnets mixed on the same network.  VLANs
> help separate that, but it all depends on what you want to do.  Can you
> draw a quick diagram of things you're thinking about?

I get the subnetting pretty darned well now.  I still ain't all that fast,
but I can plan my subnets, even using VLSM pretty much by thinking through
the calculations in my head.  :-)  Of course, wait until next month, after
I have not had to subnet anything.  :-(

I am thinking to separate out the server from the workstations and laptops,
or maybe the wired from the wireless systems.  Alternatively, his-n-hers
subnets.  :-D

>  One thing I would like to be able to do is to run:
>> <> Firewall/Proxy server (Isn't this where switches and routers start
>> coming into play more?)
>>

> Yes & no.  A pure router doesn't do any firewalling.  Technically, a proxy
> server is a *server*, not a network device.

Yeah, I do still know the difference between routers and servers, but I
wanted to give an idea of my infrastructure - what I want to do.    I get
the impression, both from techies and marketing materials, that most
routers are offering VPN, security, etc. these days.  Even managed switches
seem to get promoted as a first line of defense - Extreme networks offers
switches with intrusion detection capabilities.  Shouldn't that be the role
of an ids on a server box (traditionally speaking)?

> While all these might be part of the network infrastructure of a place,
> they all sit at a level (or few) above the routing and switching.
>
> Yeah, that's what we studied in the class.  I do get the differences at
the basic level.  But the network devices seem to be getting more and more
advanced these days.

>  Some say build a Linux firewall.  Others say that's what routers are for.
>> In fact, the main reason (as I understand it) for dedicated routers is
>> that
>> their flash drive is faster than standard hard disks.  But if I get a box
>> with a solid state drive, wouldn't that overcome most of that issue?
>>

> Well, and they have dedicated switching/routing hardware that can handle
> much higher throughput (think a 48port Gb switch with all ports running at
> close to full saturation).

I think this drives more at the gist of my question than anything else.
When I look at managed switches, they all seem to have at least 24 ports,
when I really only need about 8 (at most).  Still, at least a Cisco router
would get me using their interface.  Even so, why not just a linux box with
2-4 ports as a router?  Is it more important to know Cisco or more
important to know networking?