[CS-FSLUG] Building An Experimental LAN

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 20:18:05 CST 2012

Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of building a LAN with 2 subnets.  I would need
two routers, a managed switch, and a WAP.  Part of the idea is to use a
subnetting scheme, but also to familiarize myself with professional-grade
routers/switches (i.e., managed switches) that offer console/vty
(ssh) access.

I currently have an old Linksys WRT45G, but no N-band capability, which I
understand offers speed improvements, so that's an item that needs to be
retired/donated and replaced with a newer WAP that plugs into a switch.  I
also want all gigabit ethernet (probably just go with 1000TX/CAT6 cables
for the cabled boxes)

I am thinking of a couple different approaches:
<> Buy used/refurbished routers, switch and WAP
<> Build routers using PC+GNU/Linux, buy switch/WAP
<> Maybe use the server box as my firewall/proxy/primary router?

Anyway, I'm curious as to what suggestions you all might have.
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate