[CS-FSLUG] New 25-GPU Monster Devours Strong Passwords In Minutes

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Dec 7 10:18:39 CST 2012

This is often used when a virus or something hits your computer,
grabs the hashed password, and sends it off to someone.

In the Linux world, it is when someone grabs the password/shadow
files and takes them off-site.

I once managed a bunch of Unix computers (Sun, Dec, Linux, and
others) and had one that I was not monitoring.  Somewhere along the
line I logged into it to find that a hacker had gotten into it and
was running password breaking tools on it.  The hacker had downloaded
some 30 different password files and was hammering on them one after
the other.  This was from a bunch of different sites around the world
that he had managed to snag the password file from.  Anyway.  I have
seen it in action.  It works... (that was before the shadow file
needed root privs to be able to read.  It is easy to snag the whole
password file if you use NIS on your system.)

     - Tim Young