[CS-FSLUG] Why Don't ISPs Offer Secure POP Connections?

Jean Elchinger jeanelchinger at riseup.net
Thu Aug 23 01:11:42 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I would suggest using Riseup.net instead of ISP emails or gmail. I don't
use gmail anymore because I don't like plateforms owned by big companies
advertising and controling my messages.

https://help.riseup.net/en/email

    What is special about riseup.net email

Your riseup.net email account is a wonderful thing. Although we don't
provide as much storage quota as surveillance-funded corporate email
providers, riseup.net email has many unusual features:

/We encrypt traffic whenever possible./

    When you send email from riseup.net to another secure email
    provider, the email is encrypted for its entire journey. (see
    StartTLS <https://help.riseup.net/en/starttls> for more info)

/We don't disclose your location to email recipients./

    When you send email with riseup.net, your internet address (IP
    address) is not embedded in the email. With corporate email
    providers, anyone who receives your email can figure out your
    approximate physical location from the internet address included in
    the email.

/We don't log your internet address./

    Our commitment is to keep as little data on you as we can. Unlike
    corporate providers, we do not log internet addresses of anyone
    using riseup.net services, including email.