[CS-FSLUG] Apple and Amazon security lapses exposed after writer has 'entire digital life' destroyed by hackers in minutes

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Aug 7 22:56:30 CDT 2012

I noted yesterday on another list that it was Amazon, not Apple that
had the security lapse. Amazon ceded information to the hacker based on
having been given only a *fake* credit card number. So, I think some of
the reporting on this has been unfair -- it makes better news if Apple
is at fault.

That said, for Apple to use the last four digits of a credit card as a
verification tool is a really bad idea. I tend to agree with those who
argue a credit card shouldn't be a means of verification at all...

In an increasingly cloud driven world, I think the big moral of the
story is always have backups... and not just cloud ones.

Tim